Sunday, February 3, 2008

So long to a great mentor prophet....President Gordon B. Hinckley

This has been a tough week for me. It has been awhile since I lost someone who was a huge part of my life. I never met President Hinckley, although we attended conference a couple of times and saw him from afar. But for as long as I can remember, he has been teaching in word and by his example, how to live. In every aspect of my life, he has given counsel and shown the way. I feel like I have lost my mentor, and I am left with now deciding how I will more fully incorporate all that he taught me, in order to become what he knew I could be. I am sure he made everyone feel that same way. In this way he exemplified our greatest Mentor, the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave us the greatest teachings and example which could be given. I recognize now, how much the Lord loves us, that he would allow President Hinckley to tarry so long among us. I love President Hinckley and I miss him terribly. I have often wondered how it would be when he passed, and I thought I would be prepared better than I was. How can anyone be shocked by the passing of a 97 year-old man? But I was not prepared, and it came suddenly and hit hard. But I know my sadness will be swallowed up as we all move forward, and I rejoice that President Hinckley is reunited with loved ones and with the Savior, where I hope someday to meet them both, and to dwell with them and with my family.....forever. Until then, I will remember that he taught us to just do our best, "but make sure it is your very best" he would say.... and "it will be all right".

4 comments:

Mikey said...

Great post DAD. It's nice to have you aboard the family blog. Sad times not having President Hinckly, but like you said, what a blessing to have had him as prophet for so long when he was so old. I'm going to miss him too.

Marce said...

thank you for this post. it meant a lot to me; i will miss and love him forever!

Scott McMillan said...

loved the post..I am excited to find your blog and see all the exciting news in the chapman lives.

Robin said...

What beautiful words about someone we all love and will miss tremendously. His accomplishments and scope of love is immeasurable. Simialar to our dear Savior. He has touched to many lives. He makes me want to be a better me. Thank you mark for your comments on my blog!